First off let me tell you that aspergers cannot be cured. Once you have it, you have it. You can treat it with various types of treatments to help the the aspie to better overcome the aspergers, but there is no cure. It is a disability, not an illness or some form of cancer, it is a form of autism.
It is best to treat the syndrom at an early age, like in childhood. Not every treatment is best, it might take a while to find the right treatment. some of these treatments are:
- social skills training – This is a type of group therapy that teaches children with aspergers how to interact and communicate with other children.
- cognitive behavioral therapy – This is a from of therapy called ‘talk therapy’ that helps explosive or anxious children manage their emotions.
- medication – necessary only for co-existing disorders such as depression or anxiety.
- occupational or physical therapy – helps in the sensory and motor coordination field.
- specialized speech language therapy – this helps children with the give and take of normal conversation.
- Parent Training and support – this teaches parents behavioral techniques for home use.
Having aspergers I had gone through medication, speech language therapy and social skills training.
- 3 Things you need to know about people with Asperger’s (penelopetrunk.com)
- Understanding ADHD and Asperger’s (learningaboutaspergers.wordpress.com)
- The Importance of Identifying Asperger’s Syndrome / High Functioning Autism in Adults (seventhvoice.wordpress.com)
- Autism & Asperger’s Syndrome- Causes and Cures (anjalipanwar1991.wordpress.com)
- Living with Someone Who Suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome (peoplewithdisabilaties.wordpress.com)
- ADHD and Aspergers (brwnhtd.wordpress.com)
- A Simple Plan: Resources (aroundthenest.com)
- Self esteem and Aspergers (spectrumeye.wordpress.com)
- ‘Doctors are ‘failing to spot Asperger’s in girls’ – article by Amelia Hill (seventhvoice.wordpress.com)